The Belvedere is a baroque palace complex built by Prince Eugene of Savoy in the 3rd district of Vienna, south-east of the city center. In 1714 work began to erect what is now called the Lower Belvedere, not as a palace but as a garden villa, with an orangerie and paintings gallery, and with suitable living quarters. In 1720-1723, the Upper Belvedere was built, originally intended simply to provide a suitable end to the main garden axis. The complex was sold in 1752 to Maria Theresa by the prince’s heiress. Maria Theresa first named the Schloss “Belvedere”.